CALAREO International Research Mobility Experience (IRME)
12-16 Week Research Internships
Medium-term Research Internships in Latin America
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – OPEN CALL
With funding from the Government of Canada through the Global Skills Opportunity Program and in partnership with Mitacs, CALAREO will be offering funding for research internships to full-time undergraduate students at our member universities. Up to 20 internships will be funded in 2022-23 with our partners in Colombia and Mexico.
Research internships must be:
- 12-16 weeks in length; many internships meet co-op requirements
- full-time (30-40 hours per week)
- All disciplines are eligible
- May be completed during Summer 2022, Fall 2022, or Winter 2023 semesters
- Apply 5-6 months in advance, no later than June 1 for Fall 2022, September 1 for January 2023.
- While the language of the internships is usually English or French, some may require Spanish
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have completed or will complete at least 2 years of your program before the internship begins
- Must continue to have student status throughout the internship (students who have graduated or expect to graduate before the completion of the internship are not eligible)
- Must have at least a “B” average for the two semesters preceding the internship
This internship program is funded by Global Skills Opportunity, the Government of Canada’s outbound mobility pilot program, and in partnership with Mitacs. The standard award is CAD 6,000. Students from under-represented groups (indigenous students, students with disabilities, and low income students) are eligible to apply for extra support, up to a maximum of CAD 12,000, including support for dependents and/or caregivers.
- Review the list of available internships, and select up to 3 offers. Search by your discipline and/or location, and pay close attention to start date information (as well as flexibility in the time frame). In most cases, the professors will be able to work with you if the start date doesn’t exactly match your needs.
- Prepare an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter for each internship to which you would like to apply. The cover letter should explain (1) your motivation for applying to this internship program in general, as well as (2) why you want to undertake this specific internship, (3) how you meet the requirements of the position, and and (4) how you think it will benefit your future.
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by completing a preliminary application form (link below) and attaching your resume and cover letters for your chosen internships.
- Matching: If eligible, your application will be provided to the internship supervisors. They may request a virtual interview.
- Apply to Mitacs: If a match is made, you will submit an application to Mitacs. Your Mitacs application can take up to 4 months to process, so take that into consideration when selecting your internship offers.
- Plan your trip: You will participate in pre-departure training and re-entry programs at your home university.
Search for Internships: https://view-awesome-table.com/-N-5EEnB1C6MGbB3ec5G/view
Please note that this program is coordinated by Lakehead University. If you submit an Expression of Interest, you will be submitting your information to Lakehead University using Google Forms and consenting to the sharing of your information with your home institution and potential internship supervisors.
For more information and to submit an Expression of Interest, click on the link:
- ENGLISH – https://forms.gle/ZhuRyZY4D3vP8iux8
- FRANÇAIS – https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeb6iXfBpoRYRCQAkhbI4RtWuLrLdnE4wVlFntR3ECR7MBdZQ/viewform?usp=sf_link&hl=fr
Please note that each member institution may have its own deadlines and application requirements.
- Vancouver Island University: Ms. Jennifer Sills, Jennifer.Sills (at) viu.ca
- Lakehead University: Ms. Jill Sherman, intl.research (at) lakeheadu.ca
- York University: Mr. Skandha Sunderasen, skandha (at) yorku.ca
- Carleton University: Ms. Sylvie Jasen, sylvie.jasen (at) carleton.ca
- Memorial University: Mr. Chris Hibbs, chibbs (at) mun.ca