CALAREO International Research Mobility Experience (IRME)
12-16 Week Research Internships
Hear from York University’s Adam Hallag about his experience at UTSJR in Queretaro, Mexico!
NEW INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR 2023-24 NOW AVAILABLE!
ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION #2 Thursday, February 9, 12:00-1:00 EST – CLICK HERE for the Recording and Presentations (Features presentations from Researchers in Mexico)
ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION #1 Monday, January 23, 2023 2:00-3:00 EST – CLICK HERE for the Recording and Presentations (features presentations from Researchers in Colombia)
Research Internships in Latin America
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – OPEN CALL
CALAREO is offering funding for research internships to full-time undergraduate students at our member universities. This internship program is funded by the Government of Canada’s Global Skills Opportunity Program Global Skills Opportunity, the Government of Canada’s outbound mobility pilot program, in partnership with Mitacs. Up to 20 internships will be funded in 2023-24 with our partners in Colombia and Mexico.
Research internships must be:
- 12-16 weeks in length; many internships meet co-op requirements
- full-time (30-40 hours per week)
- All disciplines are eligible
- May be completed during Summer 2023, Fall 2023, or Winter 2024 semesters
- Guidelines: Apply no later than January 30 for Summer 2023, June 1 for Fall 2023, and September 1 for January 2024. These are not hard deadlines, but intended to give you enough time to apply for Mitacs co-funding. If you are interested but missed the suggested date, you can still apply with GSO-only funding.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for co-funding from Mitacs; should apply 5-6 months in advance
- While the language of the internships is usually English or French, some may require Spanish
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have completed or will complete at least 2 years of your program before the internship begins
- Must continue to have student status throughout the internship (students who have graduated or expect to graduate before the completion of the internship are not eligible)
- For Mitacs: Must have at least a “B” average for the two semesters preceding the internship
Underrepresented students: Students from under-represented groups (indigenous students, students with disabilities, and low income students) are eligible to apply for extra support, including support for dependents and/or caregivers.
- With Mitacs co-funding: Can receive up to 12,000
- Without Mitacs co-funding: Can receive up to 8,000
- With Mitacs co-funding: Will receive a 8,000 award
- Without Mitacs co-funding: Will receive a maximum of 6,000
Review the list of available internships, and select up to 3 offers. Search by your discipline and/or location, and pay close attention to start date information (as well as flexibility in the time frame). In most cases, the professors will be able to work with you if the start date doesn’t exactly match your needs.
List of 2023-24 Internships: 09 Feb 2023 Update
Hear about Adam Hallag’s experience at UTSJR in Mexico: CLICK HERE
Alternatively: Propose your own internship, at any university in Latin America and the Caribbean! Please contact the program coordinator at your university (contact information is below). Many opportunities exist – for example, one of your professors may have a research collaborator in Latin America, or your university may have an institutional partner offering internships. (Note: Mitacs co-funding is available for Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Mexico – other countries may be possible on a case-by-case basis).
- Prepare an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter for each internship to which you would like to apply. The cover letter should explain (1) your motivation for applying to this internship program in general, as well as (2) why you want to undertake this specific internship, (3) how you meet the requirements of the position, and and (4) how you think it will benefit your future.
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by completing a preliminary application form (link below) and attaching your resume and cover letters for your chosen internships.
- Matching: If eligible, your application will be provided to the internship supervisors. They may request a virtual interview.
- Apply to Mitacs: If a match is made, you will submit an application to Mitacs. Your Mitacs application can take up to 4-5 months to process, so take that into consideration when selecting your internship offers.
- Plan your trip: You will participate in pre-departure training and re-entry programs at your home university.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Please note that this program is coordinated by Lakehead University. If you submit an Expression of Interest, you will be submitting your information to Lakehead University using Google Forms and consenting to the sharing of your information with your home institution and potential internship supervisors.
For more information and to submit an Expression of Interest, click on the link:
- ENGLISH – https://forms.gle/ZnxcUCiYFyEXTwC16
- FRANÇAIS – Coming soon
Please note that each member institution may have its own deadlines and application requirements.
- Vancouver Island University: Ms. Jennifer Sills, Jennifer.Sills (at) viu.ca
- Lakehead University: Ms. Jill Sherman, intl.research (at) lakeheadu.ca
- York University: Ms. Ashley Laracy, alaracy (at) yorku.ca
- Carleton University: Ms. Sylvie Jasen, mobilityprograms (at) CUNET.carleton.ca
- Memorial University: Mr. Chris Hibbs, chibbs (at) mun.ca
Want to talk to a student who has done it? Contact:
Ms. Julieth Yustres, Student Program Ambassador, email: email@example.com.
For assistance or issues with the website: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org