Associate Director, Global Engagement and Strategic Initiatives
Mr. Skandha Sunderasen
Founded in 1959, York University is a leading international teaching and research-intensive university and a driving force for positive change. The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are embedded in the University Academic Plan. York University is ranked among the top 35 universities in the world by Times Higher Education (2023 Impact Ranking) for action towards the SDGs.
York has 11 Faculties/Schools:
- School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design
- Faculty of Education
- Glendon Campus – Languages, International education, experiential learning hubs
- Faculty of Health
- Lassonde School of Engineering
- Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
- Osgoode Hall Law School
- Schulich School of Business
- Faculty of Science
Strategic Research Priorities
York is a leader in research that crosses disciplinary boundaries. This is reflected in our research strengths across six intersecting themes:
- Advancing Fundamental Inquiry and Critical Knowledge
- Analyzing Cultures and Mobilizing Creativity
- Building Healthy Lives, Communities and Environments
- Exploring and Interrogating the Frontiers of Science and Technology
- Forging a Just and Equitable World
- Integrating Entrepreneurial Innovation and the Public Good
At the same time, there are five areas of opportunities to further
accelerate research growth and success:
■ Digital Cultures
■ Healthy Individuals, Healthy Communities and Global Health
■ Indigenous Futurities
■ Integration of Artificial Intelligence into Society
■ Public Engagement for a Just and Sustainable World
York University is home to the third largest student body in Canada. York is a network of campuses offering a range of opportunities to immerse yourself in the diverse experiences and perspectives that are shaping our world. Two core campuses, Keele and Glendon (bilingual- French & English), are located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA, Canada), one of the most diverse and multicultural cities in the world. A third GTA campus is currently under construction in neighboring Markham.
Joining the three core GTA campuses are satellite locations in Costa Rica (Las Nubes Campus) in, and India (Hyderabad Campus).
York has 300+ partners in 60+ countries and 10,000+ international students from 170+ countries.
York is also the recipient of large-scale research investments from global industry, foundations, and the Canadian Government (CFREF, NSERC CREATE, SSHRC Partnership Grants, Canada Research Chairs etc.)