Mitacs Globalink Research Internships
Inbound to Canada – Summer 2023
Mitacs Globalink Research Internships – Summer 2023
Deadline to apply: September 22, 2022
Each year, the Mitacs Globalink Research Internships (GRI) Program offers summer research internships at Canadian universities to undergraduate students from eligible countries. Students apply in August-September for the following summer – the ideal applicant is in their 3rd year of a four-year degree program, so that they can participate in the internship before their final year.
The application deadline for 2023 is September 22, 2022 at 1 p.m. Pacific Time (PT).
The GRI is a competitive initiative for international undergraduates from 17 countries. Eligible countries in Latin America include Brazil (State of Paraná only), Chile, Colombia, and Mexico. Each country has its own eligibility requirements. (See the list of eligible institutions below on the Mitacs website, and below).
From May to October of each year, top-ranked applicants participate in a 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members in a variety of academic disciplines, from science, engineering, and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences. This year, over 3,000 internships are being offered by Canadian universities; of those, 172 internships are being offered by CALAREO members.
Selected interns receive:
- A matched project with a Canadian professor and university, based on their research interests, skills, and expertise
- Round-trip airfare to Canada (amount varies depending on country of origin)
- Transportation from airport in Canada to accommodation
- Stipend for housing (amount varies depending on country of origin)
- Health insurance
- Stipend towards student enrollment fees up to a maximum of $300
- Stipend for food and incidentals (amount varies depending on country of origin)
- Support from student mentors on campus in Canada
- Registration for industry events and professional development courses
- Globalink Research Internship certificate of completion
Globalink Research Internship alumni interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies are eligible for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or combined undergraduate/master’s program at an eligible institution (see list of eligible institutions by country)
- Have one to three semesters remaining in their program as of Fall 2023 (see requirement by country)
- Meet the grade requirements for their country of study (see GPA requirements for each international partner)
- Apply to a minimum of three and a maximum of seven projects and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
- Be fluent in the oral and written language of the project (English and/or French)
- Be available to complete an internship lasting 12 consecutive weeks between May 1 and October 31
Students can search for opportunities by subject, institution, or professor, and must apply for at least three projects in at least three different provinces.
For more information and to apply, go to https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/globalink/globalink-research-internship
NOTE: The GRI program is a competition conducted by Mitacs for students in 17 countries. While eligible interns may be interviewed by the professor, Canadian universities do not choose the interns. Mitacs is ultimately responsible for the selection of interns.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Universidad Católica del Maule
- Universidad Católica del Norte
- Universidad de La Frontera
- Universidad de Santiago de Chile
- Universidad Diego Portales
All Mexican universities