Traveling to Canada

Get Organized

You will need to carry these documents with you, and produce them to enter Canada and obtain your study permit from the border officer:

  • Valid Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (if you require one)
  • VIU Letter of Acceptance (LOA)
  • CIC Letter of Introduction
  • Financial supporting documents (such as a bank or credit card statements as you may be asked to show proof that you have enough money to support yourself in Canada)
  • Address of your destination in Canada

Review the Border Reminder Checklist from Canada Border Services Agency.

Items to Prepare for Travel

It is recommended that students gather the following documents and have them on-hand upon arrival and during their studies in Canada:

  • Official transcripts from your high school and any college or university you have attended
  • Any supporting documents for your admission (such as official IELTS or TOEFL scores)
  • Course outlines from any previous courses you have completed (these may be needed to request an assessment of transfer credit)
  • International Driver’s License (if applicable, apply for this before you leave for Canada)